Monday, April 4, 2011

Different Gifts


An interesting part of the "after the wedding" adjustments has been to go through all the gifts. It has been fun to see how different people have gotten us different things. Each gift we open, whether it be a card, or a present, it has a different purpose or intention then each other. (We are so humbled and grateful for all those who gave of their time, energy finances and prayers.)

A comforter for the bed, towels for the bathroom, a rug for the living room, each one serves a different purpose and function. But each one helps complete the house. Each one fills a function. So it is in life, in the church and especially in marriage.

Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us...
Romans 12:6a

In your life you will find that you as a saved person have spiritual gifts. You might have a mixture of some gifts, but you at least have one primary spiritual gift. You will be stronger in one area then you are in another. 


For some faith will be your gift, the ability to just trust God and take Him at his word. Others will have the gift of service, like helping, cooking and cleaning will just come natural to you. Then there are some who are gifted teachers. Those who just have a way of explaining things so you can understand. Some are givers, they just seem to give, with a happy heart. Then there are some who just seem to show mercy, not matter how much they have been mistreated, etc.

Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching; Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness.
Romans 12:7-8

I have found that my gifts and strengths strengthen Samantha, and her gifts strengthen me. Together they help us to become more like Christ. They help us to become complete. My personality is a steady, quite personality, while Samantha on the other hand is very social. If I had it my way I would always be in the back, away from the attention. But Samantha by her very nature is helping me to be more involved. More social. And I have the privileged of helping Samantha be more stable, by slowing her down and helping her not make impulsive decisions. She helps me to action by her personality, and I slow her down, so she can think things through. Its a great balance. One only God could of put together.

I have heard people say, "I would of never put you two together, but now that I see you together I cant imagine you apart."
It was 100% worth the wait!

The truth is as a young person you don't know what you need in a spouse, in fact even as a 28 year old, I really didn't know what I NEEDED. I thought I knew what I wanted in a spouse, but God showed me some things that I was desperately needing. Some things that if I had my way, I would of missed out on.


Don't get me wrong, I had ideas of what I wanted in a wife, she should be saved and serving the Lord in her local church. She should be faithful, at church and at home. She should know how to be a keeper of the home. She should be good with children. She should strive to be the proverbs 31 woman. 

But looking back on my single time. I never really thought of marriage as being a completing time. I never took the time to see what I was lacking, and how God would use my wife to complete those areas.

In fact many a marriage fail, because instead of accepting the differences in their spouse, they spend their whole marriage trying to "fix" their spouse. And in turn miss out on the completing process that God intended.

At the same time, as the man, the head of the home there must still be instruction. A man must still be the spiritual leader of the home and seek to teach his wife, instruct her and help her to become the woman God intended her to be. And as the man, He must be tender to the wisdom God has placed in the mind and heart of his wife. Her insight, when spoken in love and admiration can help that man, become the man that God intended him to be.

I am grateful for the differences. When a husband and wife, are right with the Lord, and in their proper role in the home, those differences, produce a wonderful balance. 

We can do all things through Christ!
And so can you!


If we do not let God lead us to the one, there is a good chance your feelings, or your own incomplete understanding, could lead you to the wrong person.
Learn from others mistakes, and learn from others successes.


If your married, Let God help complete you, through your spouse


If you are single, God knows what you need, not what you think you need.


Seek God and your spiritual authorities, for wisdom!

1 comment:

  1. Okay now I created a blog. I need you to help me with it though,please. I will hopefully see you Tuesday, so we(me and Sam) can study together. Your blog is coming along great, IT IS SO CUTE=)!!!!

    ReplyDelete